Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Nobody tells you about the 1st month...

Don't get me wrong, I was absolutely smitten by this new addition in my life.  I wanted to literally squeeze him till my mom would insist I let someone else hold him, not to mention he was the most beautiful baby I had ever laid eyes on (I may be a little bias).  But what I was in store for the next month was going to hit me like a ton of bricks!  Need to mention however I did have a c-section, which could have made my recovery a little more intense.  

I ended up staying in the hospital a total of 3 nights and 4 days, which for those of you that don't know that's kind of a long time and I was so ready to get out!  I don't think Christian would have slept on that little so called bed which was really a couch/bench one more night.  The first 12 hours after baby was born I still could not eat!  I was starving...like literally going to eat off my right arm if someone didn't bring me a huge Sonic diet coke with vanilla and "real" maraschino cherries, and a Cafe Rio pork salad.  Non the less I made it...barely.  I also was not aloud to walk for 24 hours, that wasn't so bad though, Hubs did everything!  They wrapped these awful things on my calves that shook all night long to make sure I didn't get blood clots because I was still numb from medication... But I'm pretty sure it was to make sure the elephantiasis did remain in my lower half!  People I looked like a huge amazon person, my feet were painful to look at!  One sharp object to them and they would have popped I'm sure.

Ps. Hospital food= cardboard doused in sauce.


                                             Finally on our way home from the hospital!

Parks was actually a pretty great sleeper right from the get go.  I would feed him around 11pm, he would sleep till about 4am then sleep till about 7:30...Not too shabby. 

Breast feeding was a whole other story.  I had previously told myself through my whole pregnancy that I was going to nurse.  This might have been the hardest part for me.  I absolutely loved the "bonding" time I got to spend with him, but the pain, diligence and discipline I had to go through was quite a learning experience.  I ended up getting a pretty bad breast infection, which ended in having to get a prescription to clear up.  My "Boppy" was a lifesaver, made the strain on my back much easier!  Something I would highly recommend, as well as Lanolin cream, breast pads, and a nursing bra.  The true must have for me however was the "nipple shield", I wouldn't have gotten through week 1 without it.

Another difficult task for me was not only getting one person ready and out the door, but now two!  How was I suppose to take a shower?  Who was going to do my laundry and fold it?  With out fail the moment I got in the shower or took out the laundry Mr. woke up.  A serious schedule was something that definitely helped me.  This was something I definitely had to get use to, but by the end if the first month I felt pretty good being able to get me and babes out the door at least not in our PJ's! 

Parks was the most alert infant.  His eyes were wide open when he was awake and even looked right at you as if he could tell you we're talking to him.  People would stop me in public just to tell me how alert he was at such a young age.  He was very bald except for a small patch of hair on the back of his head that almost looked red in the sunlight.  He was perfect in our eyes.  He had to be swaddled before he would ever go to sleep, Christian was a pro at wrapping him just right.  Friends and family called him a little burrito.  

After the first month I really felt like I was getting the hang of things and I still had one more month before I had to go back to school!



The amazing Heidi Lee took our newborn pictures, here are a few of my favs!


No comments:

Post a Comment